Moved my Blog to WordPress

Over the weekend I migrated my blog to WordPress. This allows me to benefit from the huge amount of themes and plugins, for example to display source code. While I still want to tune a couple of things, I’m glad I’m (almost) done since the migration wasn’t as fast as I had hoped.

wordpressblog

To move the content I used the HTML Import 2 plugin. The main reason I chose this plugin was because it handles images. I built a simple XPage that displays only the HTML of the core entry and saved it to disk. The title and the publication dates are also imported automatically.

Via the Custom Permalinks I could keep the exact titles of my previous blog entries including dots. This allowed me to write rewrite rules to none of the existing links broke.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^id=(.*)$
RewriteRule ^nh/home.nsf/article.xsp?$ article/%1? [R=301,L]
Redirect 301 /nh/home.nsf/feed.rss /feed

7 thoughts on “Moved my Blog to WordPress

1. Eric Mack says:

Hi Niklas, would you share the xpage that you created to display the HTML of the core entry and save it to disk? An example would be greatly appreciated. – Eric

1. Niklas Heidloff says:

Eric, the XPages part is very simple: One XPage shows only the “body” field/div and in separate divs the date and title. In the import plugin you can define the names of these divs. The second XPage is a view with all blog entries pointing to the first XPage. I used a browser plugin to download and save all entries including images.

1. Eric Mack says:

Niklas, please email me (I believe you can see my email) as I have a Q. for you. Thanks. Eric.

2. Hagen Bauer says:

I would have expected you to move to Jekyll 😉

1. Niklas Heidloff says:

Hagen, this is actually the first time I hear about Jekyll. Thanks for sharing. I only did a little bit of reading but it doesn’t convince me. Sounds like the editing and publication experience lacks behind WordPress. Plus you have to do several things yourself since there isn’t a big community with the amount of plugins that WordPress has. The reason I moved from Domino to WordPress was to focus on content rather than platform.

1. Hagen Bauer says:

I just thought that as a developer a system with strong git integration would be best. And since it only requires an http server without the security and performance implication of a LAMP stack it helps you even more to just focus on content. 😉

Any way all the best for your new system. And if you want to switch I have heard there are excelent wordpress jekyll migration tools 😉