In this short blog I list resources IBM provides around the topic ‘Application Modernization’ which is a topic that gets more and more important for companies as part of their journey to the cloud and their digital transformation strategy.
In my other article 10 Reasons why Enterprises should modernize Applications I describe why you want to use the following resources.
The best way to start learning about app modernization and IBM offerings is the IBM Garage page:
- IBM Application Modernization Field Guide
- Application Modernization Architecture
- Recording of the webinar ‘Lowering costs through modernization’
Transformation Advisor is a tool that helps you access, analyse and modernize middleware based Java apps:
- Local Cloud Transformation Advisor
- IBM Cloud Transformation Advisor
- Demo showing how to modernize WebSphere app with Open Liberty
- Demo showing how to move a WebSphere application to the cloud without code changes
- Article describing how to get started with the Transformation Advisor
- IBM Cloud Pak for Applications
WebSphere Application Server Migration Tools
The migration toolkit provides Eclipse-based tools for WebSphere migration scenarios including Cloud migration, WebSphere version to version migration including WAS Liberty, and migration from third-party application servers.
The Migration Toolkit for Application Binaries provides a command line tool that quickly evaluates application binaries for rapid deployment on newer versions of WebSphere Application Server traditional or Liberty.
- WebSphere Application Server Migration Toolkit
- Migration Toolkit for Application Binaries
- Video: Migrating your applications to Java 11 using the WebSphere Migration Application Toolkit
- Video: Migrating binary Java EE applications to WebSphere Liberty
- Migrating binary Java EE applications to WebSphere Liberty
Mono2Micro is a new tool (currently available as beta) that helps converting monoliths into microservices:
IBM Developer Resources
Probably the best way to get started with app modernization is to learn how modern cloud native applications are written. IBM Developer provides articles, samples, tutorials and more:
More Articles and Resources
- App Modernization Experiences
- Modernize Java EE applications with Quarkus
- Experiences using the tWAS Docker container
- Workshop: Teaching Your Monolith to Dance
- App Modernization Workshop
- OpenShift Virtualization
- Spring Modernization
- Forrester: Emerging Technology Assessment
- Easy places to start in refactoring Java to Microservices
- Applying The Strangler Fig Application Pattern to Microservices Architectures
- Where does modernization start?
- It’s time to stop making “Microservices” the goal of modernization
- Refactoring to microservices, Part 2: What to consider when moving your data
- Refactoring to microservices, Part 3: Roadmap to microservices adoption
- Apply the Strangler Application pattern to microservices applications
- IBM Cloud Advisory Tool
- Webinar: Application Modernisation Key Concepts
- Course on CognitiveClass.ai: Building Cloud Native and Multicloud Applications
- Red Hat Migration Toolkit for Applications
- Red Hat Webinar: Cloud-Native Modernization or Death?
- IBM Demos – Application Modernization Hands On Labs
- Openshift Workshop for WebSphere Users
- Containerization of legacy applications